POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Volume-preserving blob : Re: Volume-preserving blob Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:20:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Volume-preserving blob
From: John Williamson
Date: 13 Oct 2002 07:38:06
Message: <3DA95BDB.D10F9F8D@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Hi,

> Maybe, but the root solver algorithm might not be able to use that
> equation. A method more like the isosurface primitive wouldn't have any
> problem though...but you would have to use things like max_gradient
> instead of sturm. It might be faster though...

The partial derivatives of these surfaces are easy (or at least not
impossible, I haven't actually tried working them out!), so it's
probably possible to get away without having a max_gradient because we
already know it. I assume knowing the derivatives could speed up the
isosurface rendering...

Mind you, just testing Gaussian blob iso's with the above function just
now, it seems that they can be quite difficult to control. Still, they
seem smooth.

--John